I have to admit it, I got sucked into the excitement about the World Cup – I couldn’t help myself! The whole nation seemed to create a groundswell of patriotism, support and rallying around our team. Then, as quickly as it began – it was over.
I see similarities in many workplaces – a new idea, a new manager, a new building – they can all set high expectations for the existing team; which can be dashed if we don’t create momentum.
So what does that mean? Have someone act as your ‘champion’ of the cause, and encourage them to:
- Shout about successes, even the small ones
- Catch people doing things right – exhibiting the behaviours you want to encourage
- Create a common language around success
- Ensure the topic/project/theme is always on the agenda for your meetings and away days
- Set objectives for everyone – common goals help us work together
Keep the momentum going and you are far more likely to succeed – be sure your managers, leaders, key players and supporters are all pulling in the same direction!
So, almost the end of the World Cup – rugby next I think!
To find out more about us, contact Liz Kentish, The FM Coach on Tel: 01778 561326 / 07717 870777 or email: email@example.com